Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hi Everyone,

The holidays are here! We at the Homer House are so excited, anticipating the arrival of the big day. Our family is so blessed and so fortunate and we want to wish you a very Merry Christmas. Christmas is a very special time for me to reflect on why I do so much for Relay. Many people have asked why I put myself through the stress of all the volunteer work. Two reasons. A few years ago we went through the Christmas season having just lost Grandma Lou on December 1st to colon cancer. That was a very hard year but it was also very beautiful. The night she died I was sitting in the common room of the hospice home with the kids, while mom was in with Grandma, and it began to snow in the courtyard. A beautiful "Christmas is coming" kind of snow that we don't see in the South. When I went in to say goodbye to Grandma I told her that it was so beautiful outside. The snow was really starting to come down but she didn't have to worry about getting out there to shovel the driveway. I said that she was very lucky because she was going to get to be home with Jesus for his birthday and she smiled at that in her sleep.

The second reason I Relay is for Ty. Last Christmas I sat on the couch with him at the Harvey's annual Christmas Eve party. We talked football, as usual, and he demanded that Troy was better then Auburn, as usual (and this year Troy had an awesome season :)). But in the back of my mind I kept thinking that this was probably his last Christmas here with us, and it was. Ty passed away on April 5th. That is why I Relay. That is why year-round I hassle people with emails and why I don't stop talking about it. That is why at Christmas I take a second to stop and count my blessings-- because the Homer House is healthy and fortunate. We want to stop and take a moment to think of all the people that are not having a very Merry Christmas because they are going through treatment or are newly diagnosed. We also want to think about the people that have fought hard this year and are either in remission or have lost the battle...that is why I Relay.

If you need to make a year end donation for your taxes, please consider Relay. If you have a hard-to-shop-for person, please consider a Relay donation in Honor or in Memory of one of their loved ones. All of the Homers are registered on the team and you simply click on this link"Friends for LIFE general donation page" and you can chose your favorite Homer off the list to make a donation.

From our house to yours, Have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy, Healthy New Year!

No comments: