Thursday, December 31, 2009

You'll shoot your eye out!


Who hasn't seen the classic, A Christmas Story? We watch it every year, once on Thanksgiving and then all day on Christmas Eve. We just have it running in the back ground. I remember the first time I saw it, I was at my aunt and uncle's house for our annual Christmas Dinner and I thought it was so funny. I think I was 10 or 12??? Anyways, for the last umpteen years, it has been a tradition in our home.

As you may know Ralphie wants a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time. Well guess what? That exact gun does not exist (according to Wikipedia) but Wal-Mart has something VERY similar. It IS a Red Rider and it WILL shoot your eye out if you're not careful. Good thing we are careful in the HomerHouse because both boys got their very own Red Rider. Thanks mom and Dad ;)
It's hard to tell who was more excited, the kids or the adults. Now I am seriously afraid of our kids having guns, in fact, they weren't allowed to even have water guns for years. That all changed when they went to a friends house to play and they first thing they did was run to the toy gun bin. We figured a better way would be to teach them about gun safety instead.

So when Gran and Grandfather came in the door with the Christmas gift of lore, Kevin ran to grab some cans for us (yeah, I said US ;)) to shoot at. He was first up, he took his turn and missed all 5 times. Jared got all lined up and took his shots, missing all 5 times. Next up, Grandfather-"let me show them how to do it". Hit on the first shot. Nice. Now it was my turn. I snuck in my shots before Rick could get out with his shoes on. I missed, not quite sure why..I used to be a great shot. Rick comes out, I think he hits the mark and then we all start over again. Gran and Ryan we safe inside and Rob wasn't up at the lake yet. Yay, less people in the rotation= more turns for us! :) Kevin missed again but Jared got a hit, look at his face!

Then I decided to shoot lefty, and guess what? That did the trick! BINGO, Tracey 3- coke can 0. We had fun until it got dark and the weather got dreary.

Kevin did manage to hit the cans, a few times. I had a picture but Jared got in the way he was jumping around so much. The next couple days the boys continued practicing their shooting. They have to have an adult cock the gun (my rule) and they have to go one at a time.
They can't wait to get back up to the lake to have another go round!

Uncle Ricky showing Kevin how to load the BB Gun

No comments: