Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snowmageddon 2011


They started talking about the storm a week ago and they haven't stopped coverage since then. Warnings were given like go buy milk and bread. We have heard it all before but this time it was serious. When they started saying on Saturday that the kids would be out of school Monday I paid attention. There's no way they could mention that without knowing for sure. The hate mail the weather channel would get for false hopes would crash their ratings for sure! The rumor was that the storm was going to hit Sunday around 5 pm. That's fine since we had just made it home from Kevin's wrestling.
5 o'clock came and went. So did 6, 7 and 8. We finally sent the kids to bed knowing that school was closed but we weren't quite sure why. All the states West of us had declared states of emergency, Facebook was going nuts and there was nothing to show for it. Until 9:13 pm. Just kidding, I have no idea when it started. All I know was I stared out that blasted window for HOURS then during a commercial break of Desperate Housewives the deck was covered in a dusting. Could not have been more than 5 minutes, wow. Within 20 minutes we had an inch, in an hour almost 2. By the time we went to bed after surfing news show after news show we had close to 4 1/2 inches. We woke up to a couple more, a total around 6 inches. Problem was that when the system went through it sleeted on top about 1/4-1/2 inch of ice. Fun for sledding, not so much for snow man making. Bottom line? We ended up being out of school ALL week.


Roads were finally tolerable on Thursday but not good enough for buses. School will be out Monday as well for MLK. Ryan keeps going around murmuring how awesome her birthday gift from God is, an entire week off of school. I was happy since I wanted a do-over from being so sick over Christmas. Looks like it's a win-win. Now if you'll excuse me, I am craving milk and eggs with toast. ;)

right before bed, I grabbed the camera. This is the most snow I have seen since 1993.

It's been since the 1980's when Cobb schools were closed for a week. That was also from an "ice storm". At least we didn't lose power on Monday night for the BCS National Championship! War Eagle!! Sorry, I just had to throw that one in there, I found the picture when I was editing photos. ;)


No comments: